Thursday, June 13, 2013

Yummy Nut and Fruit bars: great as a pre or post Pilates snack!


I'm always looking for a healthy snack that's full of protein.  A couple of years ago a friend shared this recipe with me and I love it.   These bars taste just like yummy Larbars from the store but not as costly!

If you have any ideas of variations of this recipe please post them below.  


Be happy. Be healthy!


Carrie




Yummy Nut and Fruit bars

Medjool Dates, about 8-10 seeded (I buy mine at Costco)

1 cup of nuts (I like to combine cashews and almonds)

1/2 cup flax seed

I like to vary the flavor with 1/4-1/2 cup 
of craisons, dried cherries, dark chocolate chips, 
sunflower seeds and/or coconut (the healthy kind from the health food store).  




1. Put the nuts and flax seed and any other DRY ingredients in the food processor and grind.  Remove the mixture and set aside.  

2. Place the dates, vanilla and any other dried fruit in the processor and grind.  Be careful not to overwork the motor (I did and needed a new processor, boo).  The mixture will become a paste.

3. Add the nuts to the date mixture and process them together.  You're mixture should look something like this:
4.  I make a loaf out of the mixture and cut it into bars. I do this by smushing the mixture together in a big ball and loosely wrapping it in saran wrap. 
5.  Then I use the wrong side of a large knife to make a flat, squared off loaf and put the loaf (still wrapped) in the fridge to harden a bit.
6.  Remove the loaf and cut it into bars.  I make my bars pretty narrow so it's not highter in calories and fat than is healthy.  Sometimes one just isn't enough though so I do eat 2!

***If the mixture seems too dry just add water 1 tablespoon at a time until it holds together in a ball. 


No comments:

Post a Comment